Walter Edward Wilson, Jr. the eldest child of Walter Edward Wilson, Sr. and Julia Mae Lockwood Wilson, was born on October 3, 1923 in New Castle, PA
He was a 1942 graduate of New Castle High School and went to serve in the United States Army from 1942 to 1944. It was there that he added repairing tanks to his previous interest in working on automobiles.
After World War II, Walter entered the University of Pittsburgh to study engineering. While at Pitt, he became a member of the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity. He graduated in 1950 with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
While attending the University of Pittsburgh, Walter met Marion Elizabeth Anderson. In 1952, Walter and Marion were married at the Anderson family home outside of Pittsburgh under a rose trellis. They later moved to Philadelphia and raised two sons, Walter (WJ) and Alan. They were married for 31 years until Marion passed away in 1983, raising the family first in Germantown, and later in the Mt. Airy section of Philadelphia.
From 1950 to 1957 Walter was employed in various engineering positions first at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, then the H.L. Yoh Company, and finally the Frankford Arsenal. In 1957 he joined General Electric as part of the re-entry systems Division. For several years he worked in offices on Chestnut Street in Philadelphia and also in King of Prussia as part of the National Aerospace Program. He was very active with the National Technical Association, an organization of black engineering and technical professionals. He was also a Professional Engineer, licensed in several states.
In the early 1970's, Walter left GE to join the staff of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (US Dept of Labor) where he rose to the position of director of the Philadelphia office of OSHA. During this time period he also was an adjunct Professor of Engineering at Drexel University, focusing on environmental and health management. Walter retired from OSHA in the late 1980's and formed Wilson Technical Services, Inc. an engineering consulting business that he continued over a twenty year period.
Walter was active with several community organizations in the 1960's including the Tulpehocken Street Civic Association and the greater Morton Civic Association. He was also an active member of the Germantown Community Presbyterian Church where he served as Clerk of Sessions for many years. He continued his religious studies over many years, attending several churches, studying at the Suburban Bible Institute, and helping with outreach activity for the Gideons International.
Walter leaves to cherish loving memories of him: two sons Walter and Alan, five grandchildren Natalie, Walter, Mathew, Evan and Jus; one nephew Walter and his son Brett, and many other relatives and friends.
To send flowers
to the family or plant a tree
in memory of Walter E. Wilson, Jr., please visit our floral store.